Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Interview with sic



How you doing today?
I'm good. Feeling good, just trying to stay positive and motivated.


What's your nationality?
I'm Black and Mexican. My mom is Black and my dad is the Beaner. Ahahaha!
How long you been dancing?
I've been dancing for at least 14 years, partying for like 11 of them.


What made you start dancing?
I started dancing back in high school after shit talking to some chick on the phone. There was a party coming up for the juniors and seniors and well I said something like, "oh you girls always say you wanna dance and then you sit down half the night." So yeah, at that point I was just running my mouth forgetting that I had never been to a dance or danced! I had a week before the big school party and spent a weekend watching MTV, back when they played actual music videos, and I just started imitating what I saw in different videos.


What styles of dancing do you do?
If I had to label the style it would be House Dance. Everyone knows I'm the "House Head" so yeah, I do House Dance but lately I've moved out of my comfort zone to try other styles. All dance is related and the fact that house dance pulls from so many other forms I feel comfortable with the switch.

Have you went to school for dancing?
I have never attended a school for dancing. Pretty much everything I've learned has come from going out and watching and doing. I've been to a lot of different parties from rave, house, to hip hop, goth and even reggae. It was at those events I learned and picked up moves here and there. Sometimes I would see a move and it stayed in my head but I couldn't execute it if I tired but then I would get lost in the music and vibe of the party and BAM-it just came out and happened.


What keeps you dancing?
The one thing that keeps me dancing is my love and passion of and for dance. As a dancer I love music and music moves me, doesn't matter what the genre. When dancing I feel FREE, I feel PEACE, and I'm alive doing what I love. Let me not forget to add that dancing is also a fun way to work out and get that CARDIO! Got to have good cardio for when the world is overrun-ed with zombies. Hahaha! Seriously, I just love to dance and express myself, I love moving to the music, feeling the beats, telling a story with them and creating my own story. Dancing for me is a way of life.


Are there any dancers that inspire you?
There a plenty of dancer out there that inspire me. Damn, Michael Jackson would have to go on that list because well...He is the biggest dance inspiration around even til this DAY! Just about everyone knows M.J! There are many others that inspire me like eJoe Wilson (house dancer), the Serial Stepperz Crew (House Dance/hip hop/ bboys), Mawu (female house dance crew), UK (house dancer/bboy/hiphop), Brooklyn Terry and Buddah Stretch...the list goes on and on but yeah, those are some of my inspirations.
Are there any dancers you'd like to work with?
There are many dancers I would love to work with, some of them are the ones I listed as inspirations. I love just sharing a vibe with the dancers I meet out at the clubs. I did get a message on YouTube from UK thanking me for a video compilation I made of him and he did say that maybe one day when he came to NYC we could make a video. That would be fucking awesome if it happens. You never know.


Are you currently working on any dance projects?
Right now I am in the middle of working on a dance project known as ONE SHOT. The ONE SHOT series pretty much goes like this, dancer picks a track they like/love, they dance for no longer than 2 minutes, one take/one shot. No fancy editing or effects, just a nice backdrop, a good track and ACTION! I plan on recording all dancers and friends so I can add to this series and give variety to all the viewers out there on YouTube and Vimeo. Doesn't matter what style of dance or music, it's all about the dance and passion. I want to record them all. Later on down the line I will be doing another series titled EXPRESSIONS. I have one video up for it now. EXPRESSIONS will be more of a story like video project so the videos will be longer and there will be multiple shoots/takes.


Any shouts?
I would like to take this time to send shout out to:
TitoBoyApproved clothing and the homie Neal! Thanks for the T-shirt hook ups!
Shout outs to my boy Deviant, my home girl Jenn, my boy MattyD, the homie Andrew a.k.a @*@rayis, Lamara a.k.a Philosophy, K.Go, and all my dancing friends. All of these people are truly awesome and amazing and has helped to inspire me at different times. Thank you all!


Are there any other ways for people to see your work or to contact you?
If anyone is interested in seeing my work they can check me out at: www.youtube.com/raversick and www.vimeo.com/sickpresents
To contact me they can hit me up at: synsick@yahoo.com




No comments:

Post a Comment